Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Power of Words

I had an instructor at Walsh College explain to the class that he liked reading so much because of the power that words evokes. He loved to see the different combinations that words could be used in and the types of responses those combinations would bring. As I have increased my reading rate this year I too now see the beauty of words.

For me I like reading the descriptions used for each individual character. Words can create an image of nationality, age, and gender. It can paint a picture of whether the person is responsible or irresponsible. Words can dictate which decade you're reading about. I appreciate authors ability to paint me a picture with the words they use.

Over my life I have come across some cool words that have stayed with me. Here are a few that I'd like to share;

Quotidian-Occurring every day. A belonging to each day.

Laudanum-Any of various formerly used preparations of opium.

Ubiquitous-Existing or being everywhere at the same time. Widespread.

Quash-To suppress or extinguish summarily and completely.

Stygian-Extremely dark, gloomy or forbidding.

As I come across more words I'll share them. Let me know some powerful, creative, colorful words you've read or used in your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment